The Brazil Fortaleza East Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
October 2, 2013-2015


Monday, December 16, 2013

Week 10- December 9, 2013


Dear Family & Friends,

It's so hard to believe that my first transfer is almost over! I feel like I'm going to stay here in Carson for the next transfer, but you never know. I really hope I stay though because I've just gotten to know and love all the members and it would be hard to leave and start all over now. There are a lot of part member families in the ward, and it's usually everyone but the father is baptized, so we do a lot of visiting with those families. It's amazing to see the faith that these sisters in the ward have!

This week was really good! We had dinner with some of our favorite members, the Ryans, on Tuesday night, and sister Ryan told us something interesting.....she catches the neighborhood cats, milks them (yes, MILKS THEM) gives them a treat and sends them on their way, and then she just uses the cats' milk for whatever!!! She was all surprised that we thought it was weird, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone on this...anyway, we had a fun night with them of helping them decorate for Christmas.

I went on splits with one of my Zone Leaders, Elder Chavis on Wednesday and it was pretty cool because they work in Spanish, so I got to sit in on a few Spanish lessons. I didn't contribute that much, but I had a pretty good idea as to what they were saying. Spanish is very close to Portuguese. Tonight we're going over to the Saunders house, some members in the ward, for language study because Sister Saunders is from Brazil and Brother Saunders served his mission there, so that will be very good for me! 
 
My companion, Elder Richeson and I got creative with sharing spiritual thoughts this week...we visit a lot of families with kids, so we acted out the story of David and Goliath. I put a blanket on like a robe, held a broom like a sword, strapped on my bike helmet and climbed up on a chair to play Goliath. Elder Richeson plays David, and we read out of the scriptures for our script. Then he pretends to sling a rock at me and I fall off the chair. It's pretty fun!

We have our first two "rehearsals" recorded, and we go back to watch them when we need a laugh. The kids we do the skit for love it, and then we have a good discussion about faith afterwards. fun stuff!
 
We got locked out of our apartment this week, so that was a bit of an adventure to get back in....we had to convince a neighbor that we actually lived there when he walked by as I was boosting Elder Richeson through a window. Lucky for us we're at ground level!
 
So our baptism that's going on this week is for Shaune. He's 13, and he's getting pretty nervous, but he's made some friends at church and he's going to start doing scouts, so that will be good for him. He's getting baptized on Saturday and confirmed on Sunday. We've had some interesting lessons with him, and he says some pretty funny prayers sometimes...probably the most memorable is that he prayed that he wouldn't get into fights at the dance he was going to that night, and that nobody would shank him. It's a start!

We meet some crazy people as we're biking around town...one guy called out to us as we were biking by, "hey Christian heathens! can you spare a quarter?" LA baby! I'm loving it here!
 
Have a great week!
 
Love,

Elder Poulson

 

No comments:

Post a Comment