The Brazil Fortaleza East Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
October 2, 2013-2015


Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Week 21

Yesterday, I have officially been a missionary for 5 months. Some days it feels like I've been gone forever, and other days it feels like I just got here! Anyway, this week was a little slow because right now Carnaval is in full swing. It's kind of annoying, because all the stores are closed, and everyone is blaring their stereos more than normal. It's pretty much every Brazilian's dream to own a big, loud, stereo. For many in my area, that dream has been realized...to my annoyance! haha. A couple weeks ago, we had to postpone a lesson because someone was blaring their music too loud. Let me put it this way: the guy was pulling his stereo on a trailer with a little fiat truck. That can be a bit annoying sometimes. 

Despite all the distractions of Carnaval, we still had good things happen this week. Remember Geraldo? He had a baptismal date for a few weeks ago, but it fell through because he started drinking again. He was drunk for 3 or 4 days actually, but we got him back to church yesterday and he's been sober for about 5 or 6 days so we reset his baptismal date for the 22nd of March, when he can hopefully also be baptized with his daughter, granddaughter and grandson who we are currently teaching. So please pray for Geraldo that he will be able to overcome his addiction to alcohol! 

For mom...the water is fine, we buy those huge 20 liter jugs and that's about all I drink unless I'm dying of thirst. I was told I accidentally drank bad water several times, but nothing bad happened, so tudo bem haha. I bought some cool Brazilian flip flops the other day,and I'll be buying some new shoes soon.  We're at the not-so-great LAN house because the good one is closed for Carnaval, so I cant send pictures this week....but next week I should be able to. 

Something funny I found out this week, is that there is a Portuguese word, "pulso" which is really close to my last name. Pulso means wrist, so I found that to some people, I am known as Elder Wrist. There is this one family we visit a lot, and everyone there has started to just call me "Po." Yes, like the teletubby. 
Well, I hope you have a great week!  As always, thank you for your thoughts and prayers! 
Romans 1:16
 
Love,
Elder Poulson

Elder Mitch Poulson 
Brazil Fortaleza East Mission, 
Rua Republica da Armenia, 765 
Agua Fria 60821-760
Fortaleza – CE Brazil

No comments:

Post a Comment