The Brazil Fortaleza East Mission of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
October 2, 2013-2015


Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Week 13

Dear Family & Friends,
Well, this week was kind of like a roller coaster for me! I had some pretty discouraging days, and some less discouraging days, but the last two were awesome, so it's getting better. What's been hard is just being completely immersed in Portuguese. For my first 5 or 6 days, I had NO IDEA what was happening around me, no idea what people were saying - unless they were talking about me! I knew when that was happening, but I still didn't know what they were saying! haha. But it's gotten way better! I see my Portuguese improving day by day. In fact, I'm actually learning two new languages...one is Portuguese, and the other is what Brazilians sound like when they try to say English words. My companion will ask me about movies or something like that with English titles, and it takes a few times before I know what he's saying haha. He told me its hard for Brazilians to learn English, because apparently we Americans don't open our mouths very wide when we speak English, and when Brazilians speak Portuguese they open their mouths really wide. That's what he says anyway!



I've seen some other interesting things too...I've seen more than a few people riding horses down the street! How cool is that?! Some people use donkeys to pull carts too. Also, I've heard so many American songs with a Portuguese version. They take an American song and re-record it with a Brazilian singing- Bruno Mars, Fun, etc. 

So everything else aside, the highlight of this week has actually been when I have the worst days. After a couple awful days, when I just felt completely inadequate and discouraged, I remembered that I have the ability to turn to the Savior for help. Kind of embarrassing that it took me that long to remember, especially as a missionary. But these last couple days, when I feel stressed out or discouraged, I have been able to find comfort in prayer. I know that Jesus Christ lives and that He loves me and knows me personally. I know that our prayers will be answered if we pray in faith. That's why I'm here on a mission.
 
Thank you for your prayers, emails, letters, and packages!
 
Love,
Elder Poulson

Elder Etchichury and I commencing our New Years Eve feast of Chocotonne (Brazilian Christmas cake stuff) and ice cream. Pretty good stuff.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment